Shrimp (raw, peeled, deveined)**
Flour(salt and pepper)
Orange juice (fresh squeezed is better but any will do)
Sweetened coconut flakes*
Spray canola oil or canola oil
1. Line up a three stage breading station (or three shallow bowls)
2. First bowl: mix flour with a little salt and pepper
3. Second bowl: mix egg with OJ
4. Third bowl: mix panko, coconut and orange zest
5. Pat shrimp dry. Toss as many as you can manage at a time with the flour, then coat with egg, then coat with the crumb mixture. Repeat until all shrimp are coated. Place shrimp on lined tray and chill for 10-20 minutes.
6. If deep frying, heat oil in a pan and fry shrimp according to your deep frying prefernces.
7. If air frying in an air fryer, follow appliance directions. I recommend spraying the shrimp with canola oil first.
8. If oven frying (my go to), spray a baking rack with oil, place on baking sheet, place shrimp on rack and spray with more canola. Bake 10min in a CONVECTION oven at 385 degrees.
9. Serve over rice or with a dipping sauce.
* It's important to use sweetened coconut flakes, as this adds to the caramelization and the crunch
** Cooking times may vary according to the size of the shrimp. Also, these are much prettier and easier to work with (and eat!) with the tails left on, but that is a bit more work to accomplish. Your choice.
Credits: This is an amalgam of several recipes I've found out there. Sources include Food.com and AverieCooks (which has a yummy looking recipes for an ornage chili dipping sauce!)