Equipment: Shish kabob skewers, flat-bladed
1. Remove pits from dates. Wrap bacon around dates.
Slide dates onto skewers. They can be close together. Make sure to skewer the end flap of the bacon to keep it secure. This can be done ahead of time and kept in the fridge until ready to cook.
2. Cut Manchego into small, bite-sized pieces, place in a small serving dish and set aside to come to room temp.
3. Cook dates on a foil lined baking sheet sprayed with oil (or on a mesh rack, also sprayed with oil, set inside the baking dish for more air circulation) at 425°F for 10 minutes. Turn skewers over and cook for 5-10 more minutes (depending on whether you used thick or thin bacon).*
4. Let cool for at least 5 minutes or more, serve alongside Manchego**
* This cooking time and temp is for a convection oven. Regular ovens will take longer. Thicker bacon will take longer. You may decide on a lower temp and longer cooking time. All up to you and your oven. Just make sure the bacon is crispy.
** Most recipes like this tell you to stuff the dates with cheese before wrapping them. That is a lot more work. It seems just as satisfying to serve the cheese alongside the dates.
Credits: Jennifer Jacobs (and many others, I'm sure)
Tags: appetizer, bacon
Original Post Date: 2021